Property Organizer Login
Have a Question?
* Notes Required Fields
Image Verification
To help us cut down on spam, please copy the letters you see into the space provided, then click Submit.


These are helpful tips that will remind you of the most common deductions and overlooked information.

We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that there is a new option to have your refund direct deposited in up to three different banks or financial institutions. Taxpayers can use the direct deposit line on the Form 1040 to specify a deposit to one institution. For more than one financial institution, taxpayers should use new Form 8888, Direct Deposit of Refund to More Than One Account.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the IRS has imposed stricter standards for the quality of some items donated to charities. Ace Tax and Realty reminds you that no deduction is allowed for most clothing and household items unless the donated property is in good condition or better. The rule does not apply to any contribution of a single item for which a deduction of more than $500 is claimed if the taxpayer includes a qualified appraisal with the return. Monetary charitable contributions will be disallowed for any monetary contributions unless the donor written records. Pleae keep receipts and or checks.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that taxpayers can take advantage of state sales tax deductions through 2011 if they itemize deductions. Those who live in one of seven states without a state income tax may deduct their state sales tax when they itemize. Taxpayers in states with state income taxes can choose to deduct their state income taxes or state sales taxes, whichever is more advantageous.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the donation of your used car to a nonprofit organization may not be deductible based on the total “blue book value” of the car. The IRS has placed limitations on the amount that may now be deducted for a vehicle donation. The amount that can be claimed will be based on how the charity or nonprofit organization actually uses the vehicle. If the organization sells the donated vehicle without using it in any significant way, the charitable deduction cannot exceed the gross proceeds of the sale. If the organization uses the vehicle, but does not sell it, the taxpayer must have documentation of the vehicle’s value, or fair market value. The receiving organization should issue Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes exceeding $500.00. One copy of this form should be kept with the taxpayer’s records and the other should be attached to the tax return.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the child tax credit remains $1,000 for a qualifying child under age 17. A qualifying child is a son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child who is a dependent, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or descendent of one of them (including grandchild, niece and nephew). This credit is nonrefundable, and can only reduce the taxpayer's income tax.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that a refundable additional child tax credit may be available to those who qualify and have not used up the available amount against their calculated taxes. The military taxpayer can add nontaxable combat pay to the earned income which may allow a larger credit. The percentage used to determine the credit is 15% of the earned income amount over $11,300.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that a credit for up to 35% of qualified child and dependent care expenses paid is available for taxpayers who pay childcare in order to go to work. Qualified expenses may be allowed for up to $3,000 for one eligible individual ($6,000 for two or more). Persons employed or looking for work who must pay someone to care for dependents under age 13 or for a qualified disabled person may be able to take this credit.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the maximum tax rates for net capital gains are generally 15% or 5%.  Short term capital gains are capital assets such as stocks or bonds held for one year or less and are taxed at ordinary income rates. Long-term capital gains are capital assets held for longer than one year before they are sold. The holding period begins the day after acquiring these assets and ends on the day of sale. Capital gains and losses are declared on Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses. Gains on collectibles, depreciated property, and certain small business have different rates.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the standard business mileage rate is .51 cents per business mile driven in 2012, and is .50 cents per mile in 2011. The deductible amount for mileage driven during a move and/or for medical purposes is 18 cents per mile in 2011 and is 20 cents per mile in 2012. Charitable mileage is deductible at 14 cents per mile in 2011 and 2012. Be sure that you document this mileage by keeping a log or other written record.

The standard mileage rate for charitable use of vehicles providing relief to Hurricanes and natural disasters declared as federal disasters is 32 cents per mile.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you the new limit for the section 179 deduction is $108,000 for qualified business property placed in service in 2012. The section 179 deduction is an expense treatment for tangible personal property such as machinery and equipment instead of depreciating them over the useful life of the items. Section 179 can only be deducted in the year of purchase.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that if you serve in a combat zone, you may elect to include combat pay in the earned income amount used to figure your earned income credit for 2012. The maximum earned income credit for two or more qualifying children is $5,436 and for one child it is $2,747. For a taxpayer who does not have a qualifying child, the maximum earned income credit is $412.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that eligible educators who spend their own money on classroom supplies may qualify for a tax break. An eligible educator is a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal, or aide who works at least 900 hours in either a public or private school. The adjustment for these expenses, of no more than $250, can be claimed whether or not the taxpayer can itemize. This adjustment has been extended through the 2007 tax year. credentials may be required to prove that you are an educator.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that you can adjust the withholding amount and the allowances you are claiming by completing a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, and giving it to your employer. Recent tax changes or personal changes such as marriage or divorce, birth of a child, and changes in employment or income may mean that too little or too much tax is being withheld. If you need to have more money taken out of your paycheck, reduce the number of withholding allowances, or figure the additional amount of money that you would like withheld each pay period. The most common mistake taxpayers make is to put 9 or 10 dependents or exemptions when they are expending a bonus or a large vacation check in order to maximize the take home amount and often times they forget to readjust it to the normal dependents or their acutal exemptions. This will give them an unpleasant surprise at the end of the year when they file their taxes because they are not going to have enough money withheld to obtain a refund.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that if you’ve moved during 2012 at least 50 miles in order to start work at a new work location, you may be able to deduct some moving expenses. Your moving mileage is deductible at 18 cents per mile in 2011 (20 cents per mile in 2007). Deductible moving expenses include the cost of moving furniture and household items as well as your lodging en route. Always be sure to notify the IRS of your relocation, by sending a Form 8822, Change of Address, to the IRS Service Center where you filed your last return.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that taxpayers repaying a student loan (or education loan) may qualify to deduct up to $2,500 of their student loan interest as an adjustment to income. There are AGI (adjusted gross income) limitations which determine deductibility.


We Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that you pay the taxes you owe in installments if you can’t pay the total to the IRS by the tax deadline. If you are not currently paying by an installment plan, complete Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, and attach it to the front of the return. You should send as much of the payment as possible with the return in order to limit penalty and interest charges which will continue accumulating until the tax is paid off. Taxpayers who have already mailed or electronically filed their returns can mail Form 9465 to their appropriate IRS Service Center. An IRS representative will contact you to discuss the situation and arrange the payments.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that qualifying higher education expenses such as tuition and fees you paid for yourself, a spouse, or a dependent may be deductible. Up to $4,000 of these expenses can be deductible as an adjustment to income if your adjusted gross income is below $65,000 ($130,000 if married filing jointly). The deduction is limited to $2,000 if you’re AGI exceeds that limit but is under $80,000 ($160,000 if MFJ). The taxpayer cannot claim both this deduction and the Hope or lifetime learning credit for the same student in the same year.


We at Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that if you contributed to an IRA or an employer-sponsored retirement plan in 2006, you may be eligible for a credit. This nonrefundable credit is based on the return income and can be up to $1,000 per taxpayer. It can be taken in addition to the deduction of the traditional IRA contribution.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that for taxpayers covered by a pension plan at work, the modified adjusted gross income limit for deducting traditional IRA contributions has increased. A couple filing married filing jointly whose income is between $75,000 and $85,000 can take a partial deduction this year. Single taxpayers (including head of household filers) making between $50,000 and $60,000 can take a partial deduction. The contribution limit for 2006 is $4,000 ($5,000 if age 50 or older).


Ace Tax and Realty would like to reminds you that casualty and theft losses on personal-use property can be claimed on your tax return if you have damage from unexpected events such as wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, or from a burglary or theft. If the property is not completely destroyed, you need to calculate the loss to see if it is deductible. Figure the decrease in value by taking the lower of fair market value before the casualty or the adjusted basis and comparing it to the fair market value after the casualty. This loss, minus any insurance reimbursements, is your actual loss. Subtract $100 for each separate casualty or theft that occurred during the year. The total of all casualty and theft losses must be further reduced by 10% of the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income to arrive at the deduction which will be reported on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

The “$100 rule and the 10% rule” limits do not apply to casualties from Hurricane Katrina. They do not apply to business and income-producing property such as rental property or a store building or inventory.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that the maximum adoption credit and exclusion amount is $13,260. The full $13,260 credit will be allowed for adopting a special needs child, regardless of whether the taxpayer has qualifying expenses.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you not to overlook medical deductions for which you qualify. Hearing aids, eyeglasses, contact lenses, hospital fees for nursing, physical therapy, lab tests and x-rays are all deductible. The mileage to and from a doctor's or dentist's office is deductible at 18 cents a mile, as are parking fees and tolls. You may also deduct mileage driven to fill prescriptions. Taxpayers who itemize can deduct non-reimbursed medical expenses that they paid during the year if these exceed 7.5% of their adjusted gross income.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that there are two nonrefundable tax credits for payments made for qualified tuition and related expenses for post-secondary education. The Hope credit remains at 100% of the first $1,100 of expenses and 50% of the next $1,100 expenses, for a maximum credit of $1,650. The lifetime learning credit gives a credit of 20% of qualified educational expenses not exceeding $10,000, for a maximum credit of $2,000.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that tuition you paid for yourself, your spouse or a dependent to attend an eligible educational institution in 2011 should qualify. The costs of books, supplies, and equipment do not usually qualify but may qualify if these purchases are required by and paid to the school in order to attend. The amount of credit for the Hope and/or Lifetime learning credits will be reduced for single taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income is between $45,000 to $55,000 (between $90,000 and $110,000 for married filing jointly).


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that you can claim a credit for certain energy efficient improvements made to your principal residence in 2011 or 2012. A limit of $500 applies, and only $200 can be used for exterior windows.


For eligible property placed in service during 2011 or 2012 you can claim a credit of 30% of the cost of certain energy efficient property.


Ace Tax and Realty would like to remind you that you may be able to take a credit if you place an alternate motor vehicle in service in 2012. The credit is available in the year the vehicle is placed in service. The credits vary by the model and phase out once the manufacturer has sold 60,000 qualified vehicles.